Purpose of motorised shading devices
They allow users to manage natural light, increase the insulation potential of windows and control the air circulation between different rooms, thus contributing to the process of bioclimatic facades.
Motorising and automating blinds also ensures:
- Increasing the life of end-products,
- Preventing discoloration of materials inside the building,
- Gaining privacy or complete darkness a room,
- Securing openings
- Decorating (interior shading devices),
- Contributing to the esthetics of the facade (exterior shading devices)
The level of performance is related to various factors:
- Position in reference to the facade: indoor or outdoor
- Width of the air space between the glazing and the shading device
- Alignment: vertical or horizontal
- Materials, thickness and colour
Bioclimatic façades and motorised end-products:
The chart below indicates the performance levels of different motorised end-products with respect to the 3 main objectives of bioclimatic facades.
|Interior solar protection|
|Exterior solar protection|
|With large space between slats|
|With adjustable slats|
|Facade and roof windows|
Daylight management Natural Ventilation
Dynamic Insulation- winter comfort Dynamic insulation - summer comfort
Note that only the combination of automation and motorisation can guarantee a significant level of performance.